Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A few preliminary drafts of a drink menu

Anyone who knows me at all knows that I suffer from a nasty case of indecisiveness. Not the greatest thing for a graphic designer. One of the main reasons I started this blog was to have a way to show different versions of things I design and to get feedback. Typically I really only get feedback and suggestions from the client, and possibly from a couple of people at work or from my wife. Ultimately the client has to like the work, but often I'm working with one person who is in sole charge of the project, so it really becomes about pleasing that one person. Preliminary designs can be dismissed out of hand because the main contact 'just doesn't like it', potentially eliminating the version that may actually have had the greatest impact and resonance with the intended audience.

I obviously can't change the way the client works and make them circulate the drafts to everyone within the company. That would almost certainly be too many cooks in the kitchen anyway. What I figured I can do is to show drafts to people who are interested but not directly influential in decision making, and ask them which version of something they prefer, why, and what changes they might like to see. Then I could fill in the client on the results and potentially make changes based on the feedback. Sort of a graphic design focus group, I guess.

So anyway, here are 3 different rough ideas for a drink menu I'll be designing for the GameOn restaurant, which is a sports-themed bar and restaurant next to Fenway Park. Each image shows a cover idea on the left and a sample inside page on the right. If you've got some time, please let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Mike

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Typically I really only get feedback and suggestions from the client, and possibly from a couple of people at work or from my wife."
Of course, she has the greatest suggestions.....

Anonymous said...

"Typically I really only get feedback and suggestions from the client, and possibly from a couple of people at work or from my wife."

The wife has the best feedback

[RYAN] said...

Love the middle design. I think it would be cool to use the image of the toasting arms from the 3rd design on the background of the cocktails page, in the same silhouetted style as the cover?

Mike said...

Thanks Ryan,
That's a good idea! And I don't think I would have thought of it myself. I was thinking of these different versions completely separately, I guess, and couldn't see the potential of applying that similar silhouette effect on the toasting arms image. Yay, this is definitely one of the main reasons I wanted to start the blog, to get good feedback and ideas that might be obvious to other people but that I don't see for whatever reason. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I like the third one the best. It is simple and clean...I think the second one got a little cluttered

Anonymous said...

I like the third one the best. It is simple and clean...I think the second one got a little cluttered